Facebook, like most social media platforms, undergoes an interface redesign every few years. Facebook profile images remain in the standard square image ratio, but they Facebook cover photo that was introduced in 2011 has changed image sizes multiple times.
Luckily you can format your images in Shutterstock Editor and optimize them for your Facebook cover in seconds. Here’s how to resize a photo or design to bring your Facebook page to life without reducing your image quality.
How to Resize a Photo for Facebook Cover
The Facebook cover photo is a banner that introduces visitors to your Facebook page, so it must make an impression and be optimized to look terrific. The ratio is unique to Facebook, meaning you must intentionally size your photos to avoid cropping issues or a reduction in quality.
Facebook recommends a resolution of 851 x 315 pixels, but we find that doubling this ratio allows your photos to look their best. That’s why we size Facebook cover images to 1702 x 630 pixels.
- In Shutterstock Editor choose Open Designs to import your own images. You can also click and drag your cover image into the Editor directly from your desktop. If you would like to create your own design using Shutterstock’s collection of stock photos click the Search tab on the left-hand side of the Editor.
- Click the Preset Sizes tab on the left-hand side of the Editor. Select Facebook Cover to automatically set your image ratio to 1702 x 630.
- When your design is complete click Download at the top-right corner and select your preferred File Format. Facebook cover images can be formatted as JPEG or PNG.
How to Resize a Photo for Facebook Story
Recently Facebook introduced the Stories feature to compete with disappearing photo and video features made popular by Snapchat and Instagram. These are intentionally sized to fit on most smartphone screens, rendering most of your branding material unusable for Stories.
When you want to upload a Facebook Story use the Shutterstock Editor to seamlessly transform your design in a few clicks. The ideal resolution for a Facebook Story is 1080 x 1920 pixels.
- Within Shutterstock Editor click Open Designs to import your own images, or click and drag your image into the Editor directly from your desktop. You can click the Search tab on the left-hand side of the Editor to browse Shutterstock’s vast selection of high-quality stock photos.
- Click the Preset Sizes tab on the left-hand side of the Editor. Select Facebook Story to set your image ratio to 1080 x 1920.
- Once you have finished your design click Download at the top-right corner and select your preferred File Format. You can format a Facebook Story image as JPEG or PNG.
Facebook Profile Images
Facebook profile images are formatted in a square, but you can also optimize photos you intend to upload in the same manner as above. Though the ratio is 1:1, choosing the Facebook Image option under the Preset Sizes tab will set the resolution of your image to 1200 x 1200 pixels so your image appears vivid and crisp across platforms.