In this handy guide, we've outlined how to create an Instagram Story border for more stylized videos. To create a basic frame, you can use the free Shutterstock Editor to quickly add a border around your image. Meanwhile, if you want to upload a video Insta-story with a clean border, we recommend the Splice mobile app.
How to Create an Instagram Story Border Around an Image
How to Create an Instagram Story Border Around a Video
- First, open the Shutterstock Editor on your browser. Unless you want to use one of the featured templates, scroll down to the "My designs" section and click on the box for "Create new".
- In the "Choose your canvas size" window, select "Create custom size". Instagram Stories are 1080 x 1920 pixels, so find the Canvas Size section on the right-hand side and enter the new pixel dimensions. Click the lock icon, and then click "Save as preset" to use the Instagram Story dimensions in the future.
- Next, press the M key to access the My Content tab, where all of your uploaded images are located. To upload a new image, select the Uploads tab near the top, and then click "Upload an image". Then, drag the image to your blank canvas.
- Now you're ready to add a border around the image. Press the H key to access the Elements tab, and scroll down until you see the square frames. Drag one of the frames onto your canvas, and then drag on the anchor points to resize it. On the right side, you can adjust the frame alignment, stroke color ("Stroke"), drop shadow, and fill color ("Background").
- When you're ready to download the image, click the red "Download" button in the upper-right corner. Choose your preferred file format (we recommend JPEG) and resolution (72 or 150 DPI is plenty). Then, click "Download".
- First, open the Splice app on your mobile device. This robust editing software allows you to add text, adjust the video speed, apply moody filters, and much more. Tap the "+" sign to start a new project.
- Next, choose a video from your camera roll and tap the "Add" button. If you don't want to add music to your video, tap "Skip" to see the video settings. Choose portrait mode, select a background color, and make sure the Default Transition is set to "None". Then, tap "Done
- Your video should appear along a timeline at the bottom of the screen. Tap on the timeline, and then tap "Edit Video". Here, you can resize and reposition the video on the screen. When you're pleased with the results, tap the back button and then tap the Share icon in the top right corner. Tap "Instagram" to upload the video directly to your social media page, or tap "Save" to download the video to your device.
For all your footage needs, make use of the millions video clips available in the Shutterstock video library today. If you need to edit images for free, check the free online editor from Shutterstock.