In this brief walkthrough, we've shared how to Bates stamp in Adobe Acrobat Pro, so you can identify and index legal documents.
What is Bates Numbering?
When cataloguing legal documents, we place Bates numbers on each page's header or footer. This "stamp" ensures that pages in the same document are organized together. Even though it's referred to as a number, the stamp can also be written with special prefixes or suffixes (ex. John Doe0001).
Acrobat allows you to convert non-PDF files to PDF, and then add Bates numbers to the new file. However, if your PDF is already encrypted, you won't be able to use Bates numbers.
How to Bates Stamp in Adobe Acrobat
1. First, open your document in Adobe Acrobat and select "Tools" > "Edit PDF" from the main menu. You should see the Edit PDF options in the secondary toolbar.
2. Next, go to the secondary toolbar and select "More" > "Bates Numbering" > "Add". This will launch the Bates Numbering dialog box, where you can stamp numbers on PDF files. Any non-PDFs that you select will not be added to the list.
3. In the dialog box, select "Add Files", and then decide whether you'd like to add PDF files, folders, or open files. Adding password-protected files will launch a password prompt.
4. If you need to change the Bates number order, just select the file and drag it to move the Bates numbers. You can also click the "Move Up" or "Move Down" buttons. If there are multiple files in your list, you can click on the column name to alphabetize them, and click again to reverse-alphabetize them.
5. Next, you'll need to set an output folder for your edited files. Select "Output Options", specify your output settings, and click OK.
6. Click OK in the Bates Numbering dialog box to finalize your Bates settings. Then, go to the Add Header And Footer window, and click in either area to set your insertion point.
7. Finally, choose "Insert Bates Number". You can customize your Bates stamp with settings like Number Of Digits, Start Number, Prefix, and Suffix. If you're working with an extremely long document, make sure that your Number Of Digits value is high enough. Then, click OK to add the number to your PDF.
How to Remove Bates Numbers
If you're not working with an encrypted or protected file, it's easy to remove Bates numbers. Simply open the desired PDF, and select "Tools" > "Edit PDF". Then, go to the secondary toolbar and select "More" > "Bates Numbering" > "Remove". This will eliminate Bates numbers from your header and footer.